Transcriber: Joseph Geni Reviewer: Morton Bast When I was 27 years old, I left a very demanding要求高的 job in management consulting for a job that was even more demanding要求高的: teaching.
当我27岁时,我辞去了管理咨询行业那份极具挑战性的工作,转而从事一份更具挑战性的职业:教书。
I went to teach seventh graders math in the New York City public schools.
我去纽约市的公立学校教七年级的数学。
And like any teacher, I made quizzes and tests.
和任何老师一样,我也出测验卷和考试卷。
I gave out homework assignments.
我布置家庭作业。
When the work came back, I calculated grades.
作业交上来后,我就计算分数。
What struck使突然想到 me was that IQ was not the only difference between my best and my worst students.
让我感到惊讶的是,智商并不是我表现最好和最差学生之间的唯一差异。
Some of my strongest performers表现者 did not have stratospheric IQ scores.
一些表现最出色的学生并没有极高的智商分数。
Some of my smartest kids weren't doing so well.
有些聪明的孩子成绩却并不理想。
And that got me thinking.
这让我开始思考。
The kinds of things you need to learn in seventh grade math, sure, they're hard: ratios, decimals, the area of a parallelogram.
七年级数学需要学习的内容确实很难:比如比例、小数和平行四边形的面积。
But these concepts are not impossible, and I was firmly convinced确信的 that every one of my students could learn the material if they worked hard and long enough.
但这些概念并非不可能掌握,我坚信只要学生足够努力并坚持足够长的时间,他们都能学会这些内容。
After several more years of teaching, I came to the conclusion that what we need in education is a much better understanding of students and learning from a motivational perspective视角, from a
在又教了几年书之后,我得出了一个结论:教育界迫切需要从动机角度更深入地理解学生和学习的规律。
psychological perspective.
以及从心理学的角度来看。
In education, the one thing we know how to measure best is IQ.
在教育领域,我们最擅长测量的就是智商。
But what if doing well in school and in life depends on much more than your ability to learn quickly and easily?
但如果在学校和生活中取得成功不仅仅取决于你快速轻松学习的能力呢?
So I left the classroom, and I went to graduate school to become a psychologist.
于是我离开了讲台,去研究生院攻读心理学学位。
I started studying kids and adults in all kinds of super challenging settings环境, and in every study my question was, who is successful here and why?
我开始研究各种极具挑战性环境中的儿童和成人,而在每一项研究中,我的问题都是:谁在这里取得了成功,原因是什么?
My research team and I went to West Point Military Academy.
我和研究团队去了西点军校。
We tried to predict预测 which cadets would stay in military training and which would drop out.
我们试图预测哪些学员能坚持完成军事训练,哪些会中途退学。
We went to the National Spelling Bee and tried to predict which children would advance farthest in competition.
我们去参加全国拼字比赛,试图预测哪些孩子能在比赛中走得更远。
We studied rookie teachers working in really tough neighborhoods, asking which teachers are still going to be here in teaching by the end of the school year, and of those, who will
我们研究了在极其困难的社区工作的新教师,询问哪些老师能坚持任教到学年结束,而在那些留下的老师中,谁能最有效地提升学生的学习成果?
be the most effective at improving learning outcomes for their students?
(注:原文第21句实为第20句的延续,故合并处理,此处保留序号以符合格式要求,内容为空或视为重复)
We partnered with private companies, asking, which of these salespeople is going to keep their jobs?
我们与私营企业合作,询问哪些销售人员能保住工作?
And who's going to earn the most money?
谁会赚最多的钱?
In all those very different contexts, one characteristic emerged出现 as a significant predictor预测因素 of success.
在所有这些截然不同的情境中,有一种特质作为成功的重要预测指标浮现出来。
And it wasn't social intelligence.
但这并非源于社交智慧。
It wasn't good looks, physical health, and it wasn't IQ.
不是靠外貌、身体健康,也不是靠智商。
It was grit坚毅.
而是源于坚毅。
is passion and perseverance坚持不懈 for very long-term goals.
它是指对长期目标的激情与坚持。
Grit is having stamina耐力.
坚毅意味着拥有耐力。
Want all 61 lines?
Upgrade Pro to unlock all videos / cross-device word bank sync / AI-generate lessons from your own YouTube links
View Pro plans →